If you haven’t tried a Zumba® class, you should! It’s so enjoyable, you’ll forget you’re exercising.
I’m not much of a dancer, and the only dance I ever learned was the cha cha in junior high. Luckily, many of the Zumba® sequences are based on that type of step — as well as other moves done in traditional aerobics-type classes, such as the grapevine — so a lot of the basic steps are fairly familiar.
During each session, you follow the instructor’s cues to dance to extremely upbeat Latin-inspired tunes.
If you have a FitBit or a similar device, you may be amazed to find that you take about 6,000 steps in a one-hour class!
And it’s really, really fun. If your frame of mind isn’t the best when you arrive at class, it will be totally turned around by the time you leave — because the camaraderie, the uplifting music, the dancing and the opportunity to let go of your inhibitions and shake your booty is a winning combination.
Once you get the steps down, you can tie a brightly colored blingy, jingly Zumba® skirt– as seen in the photos above — around your hips before class and create a little music of your own. You definitely can’t have a great time like this walking on a treadmill!
To read posts about my other athletic activities, see:
- Polga (Yoga and Pole Dancing) Awesomeness
- Exotic Chair Dancing: Not Your Grandma’s Exercise Routine
- Dragon Boating: A Unique and Fun Team Sport
- Ping Pong: Not Ready for the Olympics
- How to Add a Low-Cost Reading Rack to Your Treadmill to Make Walking More Fun
- Sports and Hobbies: How Many Can You Squeeze into a Lifetime? 79 So Far…
- Stand up Computer Desks: Take a Load Off your Seat
- Take a Load Off Your Seat #2: Adjustable Stand-up and DIY Cycling Desks
- Confessions of an Adult Learning to Swim
- Nothing Makes You Feel Better than a BODY PUMP Workout
- How to Add a Reading Rack to a Treadmill
- Fitness Fun with FitBit
- Fitbit Fun — 10 Months Later
- Don’t Lose Your Fitbit! A Fabulous Fitbit Accessory to Keep the Clasp from Opening
- Fitbit Charge Review (New Product to Replace Fitbit Force)
- Stand-up Paddleboarding: Testing the Water
- Do-it-Yourself Cooling Towels for Summer’s Hottest Days
- Regal Princess Review: Top 20 Amenities