I routinely walk on a treadmill at least twice a week – both at home and in the gym, and as an avid multi-tasker, I always read while walking.
It’s great, because if you’re reading a good book the time goes by very quickly! (I know some people can’t do this because it makes them “car sick” and I feel for you…)
When I bought a treadmill for my house, it came with a reading rack that seemed fine at the store. However, once it was delivered, I realized the treadmill’s rack was too far back (or I was too short) and it just wasn’t going to work.
I did some Internet research about various types of reading racks to attach to the treadmill, with the intention of buying one — but couldn’t find anything suitable.
Finally, I rigged up my own rack and it makes reading while walking a breeze.
To add a reading rack to a treadmill, all you need is a stand-up plate holder with an edge to keep the plate from falling off (fairly easy to find at yard sales and thrift stores, as well as dollar stores), and some duck tape. (All kinds of cool tape designs are available now at craft stores and hardware stores – so you can pick one that’s whimsical or matches your decor.)
Tape the plate holder securely to the front of the treadmill so books are held upright in a comfortable reading position – and, voila! You have a low-cost reading rack that’s secure and works like a charm.
If the book doesn’t stay open and flat, clasp the tops of the pages on the left and right side with a clothespin or large clip.
To read posts about my other athletic activities, see:
- Polga (Yoga and Pole Dancing) Awesomeness
- Exotic Chair Dancing: Not Your Grandma’s Exercise Routine
- Dragon Boating: A Unique and Fun Team Sport
- Ping Pong: Not Ready for the Olympics
- Sports and Hobbies: How Many Can You Squeeze into a Lifetime? 79 So Far…
- Zumba is Exhilarating
- Stand up Computer Desks: Take a Load Off your Seat
- Take a Load Off Your Seat #2: Adjustable Stand-up and DIY Cycling Desks
- Confessions of an Adult Learning to Swim
- Nothing Makes You Feel Better than a BODY PUMP Workout
- Fitness Fun with FitBit
- Fitbit Fun — 10 Months Later
- Don’t Lose Your Fitbit! A Fabulous Fitbit Accessory to Keep the Clasp from Opening
- Fitbit Charge Review (New Product to Replace Fitbit Force)
- Stand-up Paddleboarding: Testing the Water
- Do-it-Yourself Cooling Towels for Summer’s Hottest Days
- Regal Princess Review: Top 20 Amenities
- Other money-saving blog posts:How to Get the Best Price Ever on Cottonelle TP
I Adore the Dollar Store
Submitted to the Create Link Inspire linky party