One of the reasons I love the Charleston area is because there are always so many unique and interesting things to do.
Valentine’s Day/weekend is no exception. Take a look at some of these wild and wacky Valentine’s Day events for singles, couples or anyone.
Nobody has to stay home and have a pity party!
After you check out the South Carolina events, take a peek at the even more unusual events from around the U.S. …. 🙂
2016 Charleston-Area Events
1) The Bitterness Bash at Bay Street Biergarten bills itself as a Valentine’s Day protest to boycott V Day. You can even get rid of extra baggage by donating your ex’s stuff to Goodwill on-site in exchange for $5 in bar cash. Sounds like a sweet deal!
2) “The X Show” adults-only art and photograph exhibit at Pulp Gallery and Bookstore, King St., Charleston is the opening-night event at a new gallery and bookstore. The owner says the gallery centers on all things kitschy, fringe or provocative. Now that sounds interesting!
3) Singles can mingle at the Jilted Lover Affair at the Cocktail Club on King St., Charleston (maybe after they take in “The X Show.”)
4) Love Bites is an annual pre-Valentine’s Day shopping and sipping party in North Charleston.
5) World-famous Magnolia Plantation and Gardens hosts weekend Chocolate Walks, featuring 10 chocolate stations throughout the gardens and serenading string musicians.
6) Several local breweries are inviting the public to enjoy hand-crafted beer and chocolates.
7) And if art or eating isn’t your thing, several themed athletic events are being held. Cupid’s Undie Run bills itself as “a run in your underwear,” and Cupid’s Chase is held at one of the major county parks. (I’m picturing runners being chased by a guy in a diaper holding a bow and arrow.)
Unique 2016 Valentine’s Day Events from Around the U.S.
1) Detroit Zoo is sponsoring a candid and entertaining “Love Gone Wild” presentation about how zoo animals do the “wild thing.” Hmmm. Inquiring minds want to know…
2) Philadelphia audience members attending the Secrets of the Heart: Lusted, Trusted and Busted performance can see an ensemble create scenes and monologues based on secrets about love and lust shared anonymously by audience members. Ooh la la.
3) If you’re in Philly, you can also attend a Lovin’ on the Wild Side adults-only overnighter complete with encounters with live animals during an after-hours tour of the zoo, dinner and happy hour, and a night sleeping on the floor of exhibit areas of the zoo. ??? I might have to pass on that one…
My favorite events from last year:
2015 Singles Events
1) ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥Catering to the college/young 20’s crowd (as you might guess from the name): The F-Cupid Anti-Valentine’s Day Party will be held Feb. 14 at a restaurant/bar on historic King Street near the College of Charleston.
Guests are encouraged to perform an “exorcism” by destroying and donating memorabilia from their exes. Love letters, photos and other correspondence go in a shredder, and clothes, stuffed animals and other items are collected in a donation box.
Each time guests utter their ex’s name during the evening, they have to deposit $1 into a jar; all money collected is donated to the American Heart Association.
Other activities include a Better Without You photo area; raffles; singing ballads karaoke-style, and the chance to win prizes for the best breakup story, worst pickup line and more.
Sounds like fun! If I didn’t have a son that age, I’d be there…
2) A You Can’t Run from Love 8K will be held Saturday morning, with adult beverages and s’mores over a fire pit afterwards. Participants registered as single runners will have their times randomly combined with other single runners for couple awards. Maybe sparks will fly between winners — who knows?
3) My Sweaty Valentine Workout Saturday morning will pair people who attend alone with partners.
2015 Partner Events
1) A Valentine’s Partner Yoga class is the perfect chance to get bendy with your significant other.
2) ♥ ♥ ♥A Valentine’s Couples Pole Fitness class could be even better!
2015 Events for Anyone
1)♥ ♥ ♥ A Feb. 14 Cupid Sucks Adventure Race provides an opportunity for friends, family, lovers and ex-lovers to solve clues, crack codes and make their way to a mystery destination. The adventure begins at a location that’s only revealed two days before the event via email. 🙂 I could go for this one, too!
Unique 2015 Valentine’s Day Events from Around the U.S.
1)♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ In L.A.: Watson Adventures’ Naked at the Getty Scavenger Hunt
Celebrate Valentine’s Day with Watson Adventures Valentine’s Day scavenger hunt for nudity at the Getty Center. Teams of two to six people will discover secrets hidden in works of art involving nudity while tackling witty, tricky questions. No knowledge of art – or nudity – is needed to succeed.
When: Saturday Feb 14, 2015, 2 pm. or 5:30 pm
Where: Getty Center, 1200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90049
Cost: $24.50, advance reservation required
2) In L.A.: PingPong is for Lovers Doubles Tournament
3) In Philadelphia: Valentine’s Day: Oysters & ErotiCLAY
The Clay Studio
137-139 N 2nd St
Feb. 11; 6:30 – 8 p.m.
$30 for members, $35 for non-members
Dreaming of reenacting that iconic scene from “Ghost” at the Clay Studio this Valentine’s Day? Sorry, you’re out of luck, but what you CAN do is check out some erotic art and indulge in an oyster-tasting buffet at this scandalous night at the Clay Studio.
4) In L.A. : Sex and the City Zoo Dinner
The Greater LA Zoo Association is inviting you to come out to the Zoo for a lighthearted “celebration of animal dating, mating and cohabitating” for Valentine’s Day. Zoo veteran Joleen Lutz will share insights about the pros and cons of relationships in the animal kingdom. Champagne and chocolate will be provided for the humans. An optional 5-course dinner is available. Reservations are required.
When: Saturday, Feb 7, 2015, 5-7 pm
Where: Witherbee Auditorium at the LA Zoo, 5333 Zoo Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90027
Cost: $40 per person, $30 for GLAZA members, Dinner is an additional $65 members/$75 non-members, optional beer and wnie paring $15
Info: http://www.lazoo.org, (323) 644-4781
5) In Louisville: An Aphrodisiac Dinner
6) In Athens, Ga: Experience the great outdoors through couple’s Geocaching
7) ♥ ♥ ♥ In Texas: Mortified, the Valentine’s Edition!, Spiderhouse Ballroom, 7:30PM
- Laugh about life and love’s awkward moments as everyday people share their most embarrassing and real childhood moments by putting their old letters, journals, home movies and more on display in two Mortified, the Valentine’s Edition! shows, happening at the Spiderhouse Ballroom. – See more at: http://blairfieldrealty.com/2015/02/alternative-valentines-day-ideas-and-events/#sthash.Aml44as9.dpuf
8) In Seattle: Couple’s Fencing Classes.
If a romantic, candle-lit dinner is not your style, this may be a fun option for you. For the month of February, Salle Auriol is offering special couples fencing classes Tuesday and Thursday evenings. As part of the United States Fencing Association, Salle Auriol trains participants in the sport of modern Olympic fencing. Bring your sweetheart or someone you just met, either way you can pay for a class and your guest attends for free! Learning a new sport couldn’t be more romantic – even if you are using bladed weapon
9) ♥ ♥♥In New Jersey: Cupid’s Chase 5K
Open to all walkers, runners & joggers, those participating in Cupid’s Chase 5K have the option of wearing “Available” t-shirts if they’re single and “Unavailable” t-shirts if they’re taken. All proceeds of the race benefit those with disabilities.
10) In Birmingham: Woo at the Zoo
Enjoy a series of engaging expositions on “love” in the wild, led by the Zoo’s experienced staff.
11) In the Portland, Oregon area (check them all out here: http://pdxpipeline.com/monthly-event-list/portland-valentines-day-events/). This town really knows how to celebrate V-Day!
- Stupid Cupid Dance
- Monster Truck Speed Dating Event ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
- Portland Loves You Bike Ride
- Portland Storytellers Guild Presents Touching the Heart and Tingling the Spine
- My Muddy Valentine: A Mud Run
- Haunted Valentine Ghost Tour
- A Cuddle Con: Cuddle Con 2015
Cuddle Up To Me
1015 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214
Cuddle Con is brought to you by my dream team of experts as an event designed for singles, partners, and everyone (even total newbies!) regardless of relationship status, regardless of comfort levels with touch, and regardless of past cuddling experiences or lack thereof. It can be said that there are so many options to choose from at Cuddle Con that even cuddling itself is optional and not required! Some of the things attracting people to Cuddle Con include:
- Safety, Communication & Consent
- Cuddling Classes with Samantha Hess & a LoveTribe Snuggle Party
- Massage Classes by Meagan Holub from The Love Lab (limited slots available; purchase the massage class as a perk)
- Partner Yoga and AcroYoga with Diamond Mike & Tempos Acrobats
- Dance Lessons for Newbies & Pros Alike
- Fun, Games & Laughter
- Piggyback Rides
- Pillow Fights
- VIP After-party and Dance with Award-winning Entertainment
Any unique Valentine’s Day events going on in your area? Let us know about them.
No matter where you are — and whatever you do, hope you have fun on Valentine’s Day!
I would have never thought there would so many things to do! What an interesting list!
Carolann recently posted…How To Carefully Listen To Your Psychic Self
I think it’s amazing the ideas people come up with!