One of my favorite bloggers, Tamara Rockwood at the Platypus Directive, recently published a tongue-in-cheek post lamenting that many of Joan Jetsons’ labor-saving devices (from the TV show The Jetsons that ran from 1962 – 1980) haven’t come to fruition — and she could sure use them.
However, after thinking about it for a while, I realized that many of the futuristic gadgets and gizmos from the show that we thought were wildly crazy (and would NEVER happen in our lifetime) are actually here or coming in the not-too-distant future. Who would’ve ever thought?!
Some examples are:
1) Flying cars. Several companies are piloting them now and taking orders for delivery as early as 2017. (No, they won’t zoom through the stratosphere like George Jetson’s transport device, but they will ascend above the traffic!)
Google’s been piloting self-driving cars and they’re rumored to be experimenting with flying cars, too.
2) Video phones. Skype, Google Voice, Facetime and more have been around for years.
3) Online medical diagnosis. In rural areas with physician shortages around the U.S. — and in other places — telemedicine is being used to diagnose and treat medical conditions from afar.
4) Robotic maids (Rosey the Robot). They don’t wear aprons, but Roombas and other robotic devices can vacuum the carpet, and perform assembly work and medical procedures. And the International Space Station uses a NASA robonaut to perform routine chores.
5) Elroy’s “Hovering” skateboards exist.
6) Moving sidewalks. Horizontal “escalators” have been transporting weary, luggage-toting travelers in the Atlanta airport and many others for years. (And I think of The Jetsons every time I get on one!)
7) Talking watch. Looks a lot like the Apple watch and sounds like Siri, doesn’t it?
8) Interactive flat screen TVs and computers. You may own more than one!
What other “far-fetched” Jetsons gizmos have become reality?
Subscribe to Blog via Email
I think they have to come to life! I’m just loving it. Each year I can’t wait to see what new technologies come to life!
Carolann recently posted…A Heartfelt And Random Act Of Kindness
Gee, you could’ve written this post — you’re the tech queen!
I love this! I really never saw Skype as being a reality, at all, when I was a kid.
Oohh…I loved the Jetsons! You’re right, there are so many things happening now that were completely futuristic when I was a kid. Amazon today just launched what could become a prototype for the Jetsons maid Roisie. It’s called Amazon Echo. Here’s an article explains it a bit http://mindflowmedia.net/engadget-amazon-echo
I’d love to see a flying car! Thanks for the article!
Anita, thanks for commenting. Actually, I just got my Echo – and am going to write about it soon. (It was on order for six months.) It’s very cool so far! Next time I use it, will think of Rosie!
I loved The Jutsons when I was a kid. It’s so great that our technology can almost match theirs!
Tim Johnson recently posted…15 Cool Camping Gadgets in 2017