Here are 18 fun holiday activities to entertain everyone and keep things lively.
- Buy, borrow or rent a karaoke machine and take turns belting out tunes
- Give everyone colored pens or crayons and color in coloring books (adult coloring books are a big trend right now and you can download pages to color at no cost online on a number of websites)
- Make edible fruit bouquets to eat with holiday meals or as snacks (shape fruit like a flower, star, angel or a Christmas tree using cookie cutters; directions to make them are available on YouTube)
- Stop at Target for a refreshing break — free of charge — through Dec. 24!
- Take holiday pictures with props like those used in photo booths (an empty gold frame places around people’s faces makes an adorable photo, and mustaches are cute)
- Have a family portrait taken in an inexpensive local photo studio
- Make a craft project together (like this spring wreath) as a gift for every family group
- Learn a craft (like how to make pine Christmas wreaths)
- Buy a goofy gift like wax lips and take everyone’s photo with them
- Get colorful Santa hats or jingle bell jewelry for everyone to wear and take photos in
- Take a ride to look at Christmas lights in the neighborhood
- Watch Christmas movies together
- Talk to family members who couldn’t visit via Facetime or Skype
- Record a movie on a camera or phone and email it to family members who don’t do Facetime or Skype
- Give money gifts in unique ways — for example, making a money tree, folding money into origami shapes
- Make cookies and eat them fresh from the oven
- Decorate the tree in a unique and different way; for example, put big googly eyes on it
- Buy the same kind of gift for all the women in the family and take photos of everyone using it (for example, jeweled shower caps)
If you have other ideas, write and let me know!
Holiday blog posts: