Many people choose a personal word of the year to focus on for 365 days instead of making New Years resolutions. I’ve been doing that for the past few years and think it’s a winning idea. This year, though, one word isn’t quite enough. My one word for 2018 is **Family** paired with three related words …
Kindness, Patience and Compassion.
You see, my dear parents — aged 90 and 92 — have been living in their own home, and I brought them from another state recently — and quite abruptly — to live in a senior independent living center three miles from my house.
Their health has been declining rapidly, and it’s time to move them closer — since they were a six-hour drive away and I work full-time.
Many of the things they’ve done for a lifetime, they can no longer do.
It’s been a huge transition for all of us.
They are, understandably, pretty overwhelmed and a little fearful of this significant life change that includes the loss of driving and part of their cherished independence.
And I — having never parented my parents before — am feeling the same way.
I just hope that during 2018 I can keep my parents in the forefront and use all the kindness, patience and compassion possible as I help them navigate their new life, one day at a time.
Related blog posts:
- My One Word for 2019
- My One Word for 2017
- How to Find the Perfect One Word for 2017
- My 2016 Word of the Year — and 247 Ideas for Yours
- My One Word for 2015 is Actually Two Words
- The Incredible Power of Words
- 2016 Life Goals
- 2015 Life Goals — Not Resolutions
- Mixed 2015 Life Goal Results: Some Wins, Some Dismal Failures
- Simple Life Goal
- 15 Bucket List / Lifetime Goals Accomplished So Far: The Dream Versus the Reality
- Valuable Life Lessons My Parents Taught Me
- I Am the Woman I Am Today Because My Mother…
- A Tribute to Amazing Women, Fabulous Females in My Life
- Brave Women Go Places Alone
- Create a Happiness Jar — And Enrich Your Life in Less Than a Minute a Day
- Three Good Things — A New Twist on a Gratitude Journal
- Victory Log — List Today’s Accomplishments, Gain Satisfaction
- Ten Reasons to Keep a Sentence-a-Day Five Year Journal
- Feel-Good Way to Start 2015: List 200 Accomplishments