My one little word for 2019 turned out to be two words — Adventure Awaits. Since 2018 was a rather challenging year that was not full of fun activities, decided to go for the gusto this year and actively pursue having more fun in 2019. Here’s the progress report on my first 90 days.
The first week started off eventfully:
- Attended a Polar Plunge at the nearby beach (as an observer) for the first time — and was it ever fun! Hundreds of people dressed up in wild and wacky costumes and then ran into the ocean. Am trying to talk my friend into taking the plunge with me next year.
- Got an unexpected windfall at work that paid for my evacuation hotel expenses during Hurricane Florence last year (and it’ll go into my vacation account for a real vacation!)
- Attended a vision board class (mentioned above) and it was kind of interesting; you cut pictures and sayings out of magazines that show the things you want to happen this year and make a poster of it. My theme was (surprisingly enough!) Adventure Awaits! It was a little out of my comfort zone but definitely something new.
During the next 83 days, I did these events:
- Went to a goat yoga class (yes, it’s a “thing” — and it was fun!)
- Planned a fabulous cruise to a bunch of Nordic countries and Russia — and can’t wait to go! (anticipation is part of the fun)
- Stopped at a UFO Welcome Center between Columbia and Charleston on the way home from the zoo. It was weird but fun!
- Spent a wonderful day at the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, South Carolina (my son never enjoyed it when I took him as a kid, and it was SO much better to go with an adult who likes zoos!)
- Attended a Charleston 101 speech at the library; two writers discussed a book they co-wrote about activities to do in the Charleston, South Carolina area where I live (I actually co-authored a book called “Kids on the Go: Great Places to Take Kids in the Charleston Area” years ago, so it was interesting to see what was in the adult version of it.)
- Went to a gardening lecture on camellias (it was definitely something different and I now know more than I ever wanted about those Southern flowers!)
- Bought a beautiful, colorful headboard for my bed. Haven’t had one since Hurricane Hugo in 1989!
- Had a picnic lunch in Magnolia Cemetery, a beautiful and historic cemetery in Charleston, S.C. while the flowers were blooming at their peak. It was quiet, too!
My adventurous friend and I brainstormed in early January and wrote a list of fun local and road trip ideas for the year and are trying to work our way through. If you have ideas for the list, please leave a comment!
Related blog posts:
- My One Word for 2019 is Actually Two Words
- My One Word for 2018, Paired with Three Related Words
- My One Word for 2017
- How to Find the Perfect One Word for 2017
- My 2016 Word of the Year — and 247 Ideas for Yours
- My One Word for 2015 is Actually Two Words
- Goat Yoga is Great: Unique Fitness on the Farm
- The Incredible Power of Words
- 2016 Life Goals
- 2015 Life Goals — Not Resolutions
- Mixed 2015 Life Goal Results: Some Wins, Some Dismal Failures
- Simple Life Goal
- 15 Bucket List / Lifetime Goals Accomplished So Far: The Dream Versus the Reality
- World Kindness Day and Random Acts of Kindness I’ve Received in the Past Month
- Kindness Counts: Make the World a Better Place
- Nicest Things People have Ever Done for Me
- Valuable Life Lessons My Parents Taught Me
- I Am the Woman I Am Today Because My Mother…
- A Tribute to Amazing Women, Fabulous Females in My Life
- Brave Women Go Places Alone
- Create a Happiness Jar — And Enrich Your Life in Less Than a Minute a Day
- Three Good Things — A New Twist on a Gratitude Journal
- Victory Log — List Today’s Accomplishments, Gain Satisfaction
- Ten Reasons to Keep a Sentence-a-Day Five Year Journal
- Feel-Good Way to Start 2015: List 200 Accomplishments