A while back, I wrote a blog post about stand-up computer desks and how using one could help improve your health, since many people sit way too much. I’ve used a stand-up computer setup at home for several years.
Recently, I was able to get an adjustable stand-up desk at work.
It’s really convenient because it adjusts by flipping a lever and gently lifting or lowering it from a sitting to a standing position, and vice versa. This allows me to stand and work for the first few hours in the morning, sit at mid-day, and stand again for an hour or so after lunch. It’s a nice mix.
The problem, though (and you knew there’d be one, right?), is that the work station is large and since it clips securely to the edge of the work surface for stability, it extends way out into my cubicle. There’s barely space to sit between it and the back counter, and when I stand behind it to work, I have to shove my chair over to the side.
A lot of space on the counter that holds the work station goes to waste, too, and it requires me to stand and walk forward to reach my phone, CPU and other desktop items that were close at hand before. (I could probably fix that somewhat by taking time to think it through and experiment a little.)
On the whole, though, I really like it — and hope the additional standing causes a few pounds to melt away!
Just read a great post about a work station a blogger and her husband rigged up so she can bicycle as she sits and works. It looks intriguing, and she provides directions and photos detailing how they made it!
If you use a stand-up computer desk of any type, write and let us know what your experience has been.
To read posts about my other athletic activities, see:
- Polga (Yoga and Pole Dancing) Awesomeness
- Exotic Chair Dancing: Not Your Grandma’s Exercise Routine
- Dragon Boating: A Unique and Fun Team Sport
- Ping Pong: Not Ready for the Olympics
- How to Add a Low-Cost Reading Rack to Your Treadmill to Make Walking More Fun
- Sports and Hobbies: How Many Can You Squeeze into a Lifetime? 79 So Far…
- Zumba is Exhilarating
- Stand up Computer Desks: Take a Load Off your Seat
- Confessions of an Adult Learning to Swim
- Nothing Makes You Feel Better than a BODY PUMP Workout
- How to Add a Reading Rack to a Treadmill
- Fitness Fun with FitBit
- Fitbit Fun — 10 Months Later
- Don’t Lose Your Fitbit! A Fabulous Fitbit Accessory to Keep the Clasp from Opening
- Fitbit Charge Review (New Product to Replace Fitbit Force)
- Stand-up Paddleboarding: Testing the Water
- Do-it-Yourself Cooling Towels for Summer’s Hottest Days
- Regal Princess Review: Top 20 Amenities